Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Book Review: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Reading Level:  Young Adult
Hardcover: 352 pages
Publisher: HarperTeen (August 31, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 9780061985843
ISBN-13: 978-0061985843
Source: Bought at Books-A-Million
Cover: I'm in cover love with this one. The model looks exactly how I pictured Evie in my head and they even made her wearing pink! However, it's a bit darker than I thought the book was but it's still gorgeous!
First Sentence: "Wait--did you--you just yawned!"

Mini-Review: There is absolutely nothing normal about this stellar debut novel!

Book Summary:

Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.
But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.
So much for normal.
Book Review: 


Paranormalcy is one of those rarely unique novels that holds its own in a crowded market. Evie as a main character is bubbly and charming, the paranormals around her enchanting, the world and story building is rich and Ms. White's writing is wonderful.  


I've read around that some people didn't like Evie because she was a bit too childish for their tastes and while I understand that complaint, it was one of the things I enjoyed the most. Being inside Evie's head for me felt like anything was possible. It really did resemble the mind of a child in that sense. I thought her being a bit childlike was also interesting since most people tend to write orphaned characters the other way, as incredibly independent. Evie had a voice of her own and wanted normal things which is also a contrast from the norm. From her pink taser to her self confidence, Evie was different and wonderful for it.  


The IPCA's headquarters were the perfect place for Evie to roam around in. I was utterly fascinated by the fairy doors, Lish and her amazing computer and Evie's room. I thought this novel did a particularly good job in building the paranormal lore. I liked that vampires were a little different and that I was never sure what kind of paranormal would show up. I found both Lend and Reth to be arrestable. I wanted to know all about what Lend was and what he could do. His relationship with Evie was really sweet and the more we got to know his history, the more I liked him. Reth was also incredibly interesting. However, I feel like I don't fully understand what his motives where. I'm hoping for more clarity in the second novel.  


Ms. White did a great job getting inside Evie's head. Her voice was unique and interesting. What I admired most about this novel though is that Ms. White wasn't afraid of killing off her characters. It made me feel like no one was safe and that made it exciting. I bleepin' (that little robotic voice Lish used was awesome to imagine) loved the titles of the chapters. They were witty and usually very funny.  


Paranormalcy was an incredible debut and I sincerely look forward to the next installment. Evie was the perfect blend of kick-ass and hilarious and the plot kept me guessing to the end. I'd be very abnormal if I didn't pick up the second installment of this one!


Rating:


What did you think? Was Evie too young for your taste or did you enjoy her?

2 comments:

  1. Awesome review!! I agree with you about everything! Evie was so refreshing for me. She is a great MC! I can't wait for Supernaturally!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my TBR books and if Eve is just as kick-ass and funny as people say she is, I'll love Paranormalcy!

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen